Monday, March 10, 2008

Culinary romance

My culinary skills got tested for the first time today.I made dal under dad's guidance in the afternoon though it was I who decided in how much amount the ingredients should be put in. Consequently dad was shouting all the time that I had put in too much 'dhaniya powder'. But being the cool customer I am, I believed in my ability and remembering mom and her culinary expertise, I went ahead with it. I waited patiently for it to cool down, ordered for 'missi rotis' from the restaurant and opened the pressure cooker thirty minutes after I'd turned the stove off. I prayed to mom and took the first gassa in my mouth. Wowwwww!I had not eaten such dal in ages; so tasty it was!!I woke my sleeping dad (who by the way wouldn't be eating it because he has a fever and because of it only I endeavored to fight the battle with the pressure cooker!) and told him what a great rookie chef his son was! He mumbled something (which I won’t get into) and got back to sleep.And in this way, I'd a hearty lunch. More so, because I was relieved that I'd not messed it up!But in the evening I found, to my dismay that I was supposed to make rotis too! Dad said it's not feasible to take rotis from restaurant every time (or even from the neighbours I was about to say, but I left at it)I've tried this before; not be a tough ask I thought to myself. Again, hoping that the endeavor will be successful like it was in the afternoon, I took on it with courage. Wasn't feeling very hungry. So target –five [as dad again wasn't eating because he had khichdi (or was it because he also doesn't fancy my cooking :-P)]Anyway, my ordeal began.

First roti: Srilanka (or Madagascar??) Perhaps both :-D
Second: Australia
Third and fourth rotisi: I don't remember much. But didn't resemble any geometric figure either!
Fifth one: aah! Finally something remotely close to what one calls a roti! Somewhat circular in shape. Looked like Hrithik Roshan among a bunch of Johnny Levers (apologies to Mr. Lever) Was made properly too. Oho! I remembered from made properly, when I sat down to eat them, the first four were absolutely pathetic! Half made, half baked or what ever you call it! Unpalatable is the word that comes to mind when I think of them. When I came down to the fifth one, my tongue was already down and so couldn't appreciate it's taste. I believe it would have given any roti good competition (the Hrithik Roshan. They say don't judge a person by looks!Can't say so in case of my rotis!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First thing..as i was reading it i was like gettin really hungry..its like 12 25 here ...and as i was reading further dwn..i got reminded abt a conversation that happend at work place during lunch yst..whr my uncle spread the word to my friends that i m a cook..and they were on me askin wat i cook and all that..and all of a sudden one of my frnd popped the que can u make rotis....and i was like damn..i should have knwn this was comn...i shoudnt have played along..I can cook reasonably well..but rotiss...Jus cant get it dne...

I liked the whole srilanka,madagaskar line in ur post

Njoyd this post a lot

Cheers
Tee

Anonymous said...

oh atleast it was edible in ur case i hope.. but the roti or whatever i made was round and jus round.. it could neither be folded nor rolled.. i actually broke it to small pieces to make it look less sinister.. and the terrible thing was, i had added lots of salt into that.....

i din make dal but somethin with mushrooms which turned out to be my creative product.. my mom said she had never tasted anything so good like that and my bro actually teased me by suggeting a career in catering...

so rotis were frm outside that day..