Saturday, August 2, 2008

Despo

I've gained a lot in the last two months, not so much so as doing anything, but by contemplation and some hands on experience.


The month of June started with a great confusion as to where I should undergo my internship. I weighed the options and chose to pursue it in Jodhpur only at a renowned farzi place. The lectures were sooo boring and so were the people; wait a minute!

Here goes the first one:


There was this girl there (of a total of about 25 girls), with long hair, with some flamboyance, with aaa... I don’t want to get into all this. I'll come to the point. She caught my eye. Fine, we exchanged looks. All was fine but there was something about her. She seemed very familiar. First day, she sat in front of me; next day, I sat where she sat and she sat in the last row and I stared at her with my head tilted 270 degrees for most of that lecture (Please, I didn’t letch; letching is something that other people do to your sister when you go around with her). Yes, coming back, she didn't pay much attention to me. All through, I always felt that I knew her. Anyway, those days, I was reading this book, 'The Greatness Guide' by Robin Sharma, and in there was written (quite substantially, I'm just cutting it short!), that if you feel like doing something, do it! And I decided that night: yes, I'll talk to her and confirm whether I knew her or not! (Go Anish! Go!)

Next day, I went and sat alongside her!(What? :O) For the next three hours, I always got her to look at me for some or the other reason (this despite the fact that she shifted a seat away from me in the break!!). Like dropping a pen, drawing a cartoon, advising her with her cartoons ( arre bhai! Na jaan na pehchaan, kyun gale pad raha hai? :O Kisi ne poocha tere se ki yeh cartoon kaise banaye, uski marzi!!)

(Yes! I know I'm an idiot! Thanks for reminding once again)

At the end of the three hour ordeal (lecture for me; lecture and I for her), as we all were getting out of the building, she was in front of me only and I don’t know what got me, I stepped ahead and asked:

"Are you from jodhpur?"

Yes, I did it! After all that, I hammered the final nail in the coffin. Abbey ullu ke paththe! Agar wo tujhe jaanti, to itna sab jo tune gadhe ki tarah kiya usi time bata deti; why did you go and ask her!?! Aur poocha bhi to kya!!!

Reply: (A curt)"No!"

I think I stayed there for some 5 seconds, not knowing what to say and someone called my name; I just turned away.

As she was smiling at my sheer stupidity, the whole series of events leading up to it flashed in my mind. To her, I was this desperate guy who was looking to buld fraanship with her (or any girl!!!). Shit! Holy Fuck! How could I do this? Kya kachra ho gaya yaar! Anish Nambisan! Congratulations! You are now a despo!!

And the line I used: "Are you from jodhpur?"

For heaven's sake, why did I say that to start a conversation? Even the age old pick up line "Do I know you?" would have been a trillion times better!!!

The events followed as expected; everyone had a hearty laugh at my expense as I made vain attempts to prove my innocence. I later figured out her name (and trust me! I don’t remember her name now! It was something like Surbhi, Suruchi, Shurbi something like that) and that she was committed to some IIT guy. I spent the afternoon sulking over the aftermath but as usual was all fine by evening; chilled out with friends and stuff.

I finished reading the book and as I lay in my bed that night contemplating the events that occurred. I, in fact was feeling good about it!

I thought to myself: This girl will be there for only two more days as our lectured ended that day and there was absolutely no way we'll end up in the same group for making our project! Chill Anish! After all it's not every day that I'm labeled like this. Aisa experience bhi mangta hai zindagi mein ;-)

A couple of positives: I found out her name and I completed the mission- I didn’t know her :-D!!

4 comments:

Vinayak said...

nice post
keep it up.

Angel said...

*laughs*
good one !
May be you should learn some pick up lines soon

Unknown said...

ahhaha.....dude...i know this is like one of those moments when it feels lie the dead just touched you ...and your words...dont come out and your mind is shit blank ...and the only thing you can think of is a silent escape...lol funny situation.

Unknown said...

yes i am an artist ...and i paint potray my thoughts using few mouse moves and photoshop